Sunday, July 26, 2015

Summer (cont'd)

It's been another week about which I can't muster a whole lot to say.  I'm getting in all my paddling and other training activities, but it has sort of a going-through-the-motions feel.  There's almost another month before I'll have any races to do, and in the meantime the heat and humidity have been soul-crushing.

The Mississippi River has been sitting above 31 feet on the Memphis gauge for several weeks now, but the forecast on the NOAA website indicates it's about to start dropping fast.  Today I paddled up onto Dacus Lake one last time before the water will be too low to do so.  It was actually my best of these Sunday "long" paddles as far as dealing with the oppressive weather: I paced myself a bit better and also took full advantage of what little shade exists out there, and I think that was surprisingly effective in helping me conserve energy.  I even did the ferry across the river in the shadow of the Hernando DeSoto Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment