Saturday, December 24, 2016

Rebounding from a brief setback

I'm in North Carolina visiting my sister's family for the Christmas holiday weekend.  I did a round of my current strength routine today, but I didn't paddle: my mother and I drove over here in her car, which isn't equipped to carry a boat.  So I'm out of the boat until I get back home Monday or Tuesday.

I was sick the week before last.  I had either a mild flu or (more likely) a very bad cold, and it was a stubborn crud that kept me on the down-low for almost the entire week.  But I did manage to get in the boat a couple of times that week.  I met Joe for our usual get-together on Tuesday, and between my feeling crummy and his being on a very tight schedule, we settled for an easy paddle from the marina to the mouth of the harbor and back, a 35- to 40-minute undertaking.  By Saturday I was finally regaining some energy, and it was an unseasonably warm day (mid 70s Fahrenheit), so I went down and got in a one-hour session in the harbor.

This past week I was more or less back to normal, and knowing I'd be boatless this weekend I paddled Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  On Tuesday Joe and I did a lap of the harbor in 80 minutes or so, and on each of the next two days I paddled a one-hour session with some long surges (Wednesday) and some short sprints (Thursday) thrown in.

I mentioned up above that I've got a strength routine going.  I picked out six exercises from the Michele Ramazza video that require almost no equipment so I wouldn't have to bring a bunch of stuff to my sister's with me.  Here's how the routine goes:

1.  Leg kicks and leg kicks-swim (demonstrated by Michele at 3:33 and 3:44 of the video)
2.  Pushups (done with dumbbells like Michele is doing them at 4:54)
3.  Butterfly crunches (demonstrated at 3:22)
4.  "Draw stroke" with rubber band (demonstrated at 4:37)
5.  Plank crunches (demonstrated at 4:03)
6.  Air squats (demonstrated at 2:15)

I do the routine three times a week, going through it twice each time.

I mentioned in my last post how my plantar fasciitis seems to come and go, and these last two weeks have provided a good example of that.  During my week of being sick I was in bed for much of each day but did make a point of stretching my calves, and there were moments when I almost thought I was rid of the pain at last.  But in the last week, as I got back in the boat and went through the usual motions with my feet against the footboard, the pain flared up again.  During the long trip over here it hurt bad every time I got out of the car and walked around.  I'm trying to be diligent with the stretching during this otherwise leisurely stay at my sister's house.

1 comment:

  1. Next time you come to Raleigh, bring your PFD and Drysuit and I'll lend you my V7 to paddle.

    ReplyDelete