Thursday, October 4, 2018

Oww

I have spent the week dealing with an ailing back.  On Sunday I had some things that needed washing under an outside spigot and ended up performing that chore in a bent-over position.  As a result, I woke up Monday morning in agony.  Just what I need the week of a race.

On Tuesday my back bothered me a lot as I paddled a loop of the harbor with Joe.  I tried to stay relaxed and let the area loosen up as much as it was willing to do.

The condition has gradually improved during the week but I was sort of hoping I'd be over it by now.  By this morning there was still an acute soreness in my right lower back.  I went back down to the riverfront and embarked on a 50-minute paddle, and was pleased to find that the discomfort in the boat wasn't nearly as bad as it had been Tuesday.  After a ten-minute warmup I did six 12-stroke sprints, and my body handled that intensity well.  I felt better after paddling than I'd felt before.  For the rest of the day there has still been a bit of soreness, but I'm getting the feeling that it'll be gone in another day or so.

Muggy heat has returned to this region.  I'm hoping it might be a little bit more fall-like up on the Cumberland Plateau.

No comments:

Post a Comment