Monday, December 14, 2020

Monday photo feature

 


Sartorially, I've always been an earth-tones kind of guy.  The main reason is that I don't care to draw a lot of attention to myself.

That was long the case when I dressed to go paddling, too.  I preferred a dark PFD (black, usually), along with muted hues in my clothing.

In the summer of 2018, I realized that my traditional fashion sense presented a problem.  That was my first summer to attend the Gorge Downwind race on the Columbia River at Hood River, Oregon, and during my first day on the water there, a friend "dressed me down," as it were.  He exclaimed something to the effect of "Dude!  I can barely see you!"

You see, the wind that blows through the Columbia Gorge attracts not only surfski racers but also windsurfers and kiteboarders.  With such craft flying over your head as you paddle, it quickly becomes obvious why you want those folks to see you so they can avoid taking your head off.

And so, I invested in some brighter-colored gear while I was out there in 2018, including one of those neon-orange lifejackets offered by the Mocke Paddling Company.  Since then I have acquired other hard-to-miss items, such as the Outdoors, Inc., shirt pictured above.  The photo doesn't entirely do it justice, but that shirt is bright.  When I wore it on very sunny days this past Thursday and Saturday, the glare off my sleeves was intense enough to be an annoyance.  But I guess it's worth it if it saves me from being struck by a kiteboard or a windsurfer or some motorized craft.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment