Sunday, March 14, 2021

Welcome back, DST

Most of my weekends this year have featured a pretty heavy training load, but since this past week was intended as an easy one, I got a break this weekend.  All I did on Friday was a gym session, and yesterday I had just one in-the-boat session rather than the usual two.

Yesterday's workout was a short-sprint session: three sets of four 10-second sprints, starting from rest at 2-minute intervals.  Paddling for 10 seconds at all-out intensity is a big test of motor skills, balance, and control.  Once in a while everything seems to fall into place and I feel smooth, all my muscles firing in unison and each phase of my stroke making a fluid transition into the next.  But more often it feels like I'm just flailing around.  I hope that at least looking for perfection in these short, intense pieces will help me come closer to achieving it over longer distances at lower intensity.

Daylight Saving Time began early this morning.  In general I like being on DST, but moving the clock forward an hour always throws my body out of whack for a few days.  For a while my body will think it's getting up at 5 AM even though the clock says it's 6 AM.

The workout today was another variable-pace exercise: three sets of (4 minutes at 60 spm/2 minutes at 68 spm/3 minutes at 64 spm/1 minute at 72 spm).  There was a minute of rest between pieces within each set, and 2 minutes between sets.  As usual, I tried to maintain consistent stroke quality at all the different rates.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment