Monday, May 9, 2022

Stuck in a rut

I haven't mentioned it lately, but I'm still feeling a lot of soreness in my left deltoid/bicep area.  I think it's flared up a bit in the last week or so.  I've also just wrapped up a rather intense project in my woodworking shop that contributed some soreness and achiness to the muscles in both my arms.

That, along with some feelings of sluggishness I've had the last few days, and some cool breezy weather here in the Mid South, has had an impact on my motivation.  It hasn't stopped me from getting out there and going through the motions, but I haven't been excited about it lately.

On Friday I stayed home and did a gym session.  I dragged myself to the river Saturday morning, and after warming up and doing three 8-stroke sprints, I did a workout that's a variation on the 30-second sprint workout I've done a lot in recent years.  I did ten 100-meter sprints starting every 4th minute; my goal was to move at over 12 kilometers per hour, but the way the wind was swirling around I either had no trouble exceeding that or really had to fight to achieve it.  In the end it felt good just to lay down some hard efforts, and I was proud of myself for doing it despite my lack of enthusiasm.

Adam was out of town and couldn't join me yesterday, so I was on my own for a longer paddle.  I left the harbor and paddled up the Mississippi, ferried across above the Hernando DeSoto Bridge, and paddled up into the Loosahatchie Chute before heading back.  My elapsed time was 100 minutes, and it was a decent outing even though I still wasn't feeling much giddy-up.

My next big race is still two months off and there's still plenty of time to get myself ready.  But I wish I could find something to get excited about in the nearer term.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment