Friday, November 18, 2022

More on that winter routine

Three days after my truncated First Run In 20 Years my left calf muscle is still sore, but I think it's definitely improving.  Maybe by next week I'll feel ready to attempt another short run.

The chilly weather (low 40s Fahrenheit) weather we've been having is not fun to go bike riding in, but yesterday afternoon I found it in me to bundle up and ride out the Greater Memphis Greenline to Shelby Farms and back.  I did my usual 34-kilometer loop, riding around Patriot Lake out there before heading back.  The sun was shining, so that helped make it feel not quite so miserable.

Both Wednesday and today I did rounds of the gym routine I started on Monday, and that's starting to feel beneficial.

So, I feel like I've got something started.  I'm still trying to incorporate maybe one more cardiovascular activity: I'm interested in finding a rowing ergometer nearby that I can access without having to pay too exorbitant a membership fee.

Right now I think the most important thing is just to get something--anything--going.  After several months of sort of flailing around, trying to deal with motivation and energy level and aches and pains, I think it's more important than ever to have a solid routine that I can follow each day and feel good about.

In my last post I said that I didn't do anything athletic last weekend.  But by Sunday afternoon I was tired of sitting around feeling like a slug, so I decided to go out and do a little hiking in the Mississippi River bottoms.  I drove across the Memphis-Arkansas Bridge and parked in Big River Park, and hiked down to a big expanse of sand that was exposed on the inside of the big bend just downstream of the trio of old bridges.

There were a good dozen other people out on the sandbar, and at first I expected them all to have metal detectors: both our local newspapers had just run stories of interesting artifacts found by treasure hunters.  But as I walked closer I realized they were all just fishing.

Treasure hunters probably had been by in recent days, and I was expecting no miraculous discoveries of my own.  But I did see a couple of interesting things.  One was this scuttled fishing boat:

I think it had been mostly buried in the sand and silt, and then partially excavated by passersby during this current low-water period.

And then there was this thing: part of a winch, maybe?  Or of a towboat's engine apparatus?

These were the only things I saw out of the ordinary.  I can only imagine what artifacts there are buried beneath layers upon layers of mud down there.

The river level on Sunday was about 7.1 feet below zero on the Memphis gauge.  Since then the river has been on a big rise: it's forecast to crest this weekend about a foot above zero on the gauge.  That's still a very low level, but compared to what it's been the last month or so, it's going to look like an ocean of water down there.  I haven't been paying close attention to where it's been raining in the watershed, but my guess is that the remnants of Hurricane Nicole must have dumped enough rain on the west slope of the Appalachians last week to bring about this big rise.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment