Sunday, October 22, 2023

Physical health and environmental health and robust river flows: somehow they're all connected

After a very warm September followed by some unseasonably chilly temperatures, we're finally having a few days of near-perfect fall weather.  Yesterday I got in the boat and headed out of the harbor to see what was happening on the big river.

Right at the harbor's mouth I found a barge rig moving upriver and producing some of the nicest surfing waves I'd seen in a while.  I went out and got at least a half-dozen nice rides.  My downwinding skills are anything but sharp these days, and barge wakes are rarely a true downwind environment anyway, but I managed to link runs a couple of times, and that lifted my spirits a bit in this tough chapter of my athletic life.

I visited the spine surgeon last Monday, and we concluded that my best option for my arm and shoulder achiness is simply to live with it for the time being.  As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, surgery would restrict the range of motion in my neck, and I consider that worse than what I've currently got; but the doctor pointed out that over time my current condition might worsen, making surgery a more appealing option.

So I'm choosing between bad and worse, and that's a rather disheartening state of affairs.  But getting after those barge wakes cheered me up a bit: not only was I able to coax the necessary sprints out of my sore body, but also my cardiovascular fitness seemed up to the task even though I've done just a minimum of paddling and other exercise for the last two months.

I should also note that as tempting as it is to write myself off as an over-the-hill has-been, I've in fact got some good paddling performance still in me.  Back on July 15 I raced pretty well for the first half of the Blackburn Challenge, and the trouble I had in the second half wasn't because of my nerve and muscle woes.

As I re-entered the harbor yesterday, a small boat with an outboard motor came zooming in along with me.  I quickly moved over to see if I could catch its wake, and when the two guys in the boat saw what I was doing, they shouted their approval and cooperated with me.  We cruised up the lower stretch of the harbor around 8 miles per hour (12.9 kilometers per hour) until we hit a no-wake zone and had to knock it off.

The Mississippi River dropped below -12.0 feet on the Memphis gauge for the first time ever in the middle of last week, but it had risen to -10.5 feet by the time I got back down there this morning.  It's forecast to be up to -9.4 feet by a week from now, and that's some serious high water compared to what we've had lately.  I could no longer see the bottom in that spot I posted photos of last weekend.

I paddled out of the harbor hoping to find some more good wakes to surf, but the barge traffic was idle.  So I settled for an hour of steady paddling.

There was a lot of floating litter in the harbor, largely because of the rising water level, I expect.  As I went along I picked up bits of trash until the space just fore of my footboard was nearly overflowing.  Do such deeds of good citizenship make me feel smug and superior?  Maybe.  But I would submit that my main motivation is my desire to paddle on water that's not all littered up.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment