Saturday, January 19, 2013

Struggles

I didn't make it to the river yesterday, but I did do two sets of the January strength routine in the afternoon.  I think my lower abdominals must be getting in better shape, because those exercise ball drills have been feeling easier the last several times.  The exercises that still feel very difficult to me are the core drills that Daniele Molmenti does at 4:40 and 5:03 of this video.

The big excitement came this morning, when I went down to the harbor to paddle my new K1 for the first time.  At least, I was excited during the drive down there.  But that faded as I found myself spending a lot more time fussing with the adjustments of the seat, footboard, tiller, and rudder than I spent in the boat.  Apparently the boat's previous owner and I are polar opposites in our settings preferences.  And it's possible I'll be fussing with the settings some more once I get somebody to look at me in the boat and tell me how trim it is.

Once I was finally in the boat, I was reminded of just how much tippier than a surf ski a K1 is.  I managed to stay upright, but I dared not stray far from the marina in case of a swim in that cold water.  The weather was not helpful: even though it was some 20 degrees warmer today than it was earlier this week, it still wasn't exactly balmy, and a pretty stiff south wind created a fair amount of chop.  In the end I just did a few laps in the interior of our U-shaped marina where I had a little protection.

In short, very little actual paddling took place today, and I think it could be a while before I really get comfortable in this new boat.  We've still got two months of winter ahead of us; would've been nice if I'd gotten this boat in the summertime.  But no worries... stability will come.  And this new challenge will give me some fresh motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment