Monday, March 28, 2016

What's next?

Now that one race is in the books for 2016, I realize that I haven't said much about my plans for the rest of the year.  Here are the events I hope to participate in:

April 30: 13th annual Bluz Cruz Canoe and Kayak Race.  Starts at Madison Parish (La.) Port on the Mississippi River and finishes 22 miles downriver at the Vicksburg Front.

May 14: Osage Spring 12.  A 12-mile race down the Osage River at Osage City, Missouri.

June 18: 35th Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race.  A 5000-meter race down the Mississippi River at downtown Memphis, Tennessee.

June 25: The Great Chickasawhay Race.  At 21-nautical-mile (that's what it says on the website) race down the Chickasawhay River from Shubuta, Mississippi, to Waynesboro, Mississippi.

July 30: USCA National Championship for downriver kayak.  A race for boats that meet ICF wildwater specs.  Held in conjunction with the Aluminum Canoe Nationals.  White River at Batesville, Arkansas.

August 6: The Paddle Grapple.  A 6-mile race on Lake Fontana near Bryson City, North Carolina.

August 12-14: USCA Marathon National Championships.  A 13-mile course up and down the Connecticut River at Northfield, Massachusetts.

September 17: Gator Bait Canoe and Kayak Race.  A 5.5-mile race on Barnett Reservoir outside Jackson, Mississippi.

Of course, I might not make it to all the races on this list, and I could end up doing something that's not on this list.  But this is a pretty good outline of what's to come.

Last weekend's race gave me some idea of what things I need to work on, and with the next race a whole five weeks away, I'm heading back to the drawing board.  I spent most of the race in Ocean Springs afraid to push the pace, and it cost me at the end; so some pace work is in order.  Also, at least four of the races on this schedule are what I consider "long" (and I'll just point out here that I do not do ultra-distance events).  So some training of commensurate distance is in order.

Saturday's Loosahatchie Bar circumnavigation is part of that plan.  Yesterday's workout is another.  Yesterday I paddled to the south end of the harbor and did six repeats of a course between the Hernando DeSoto Bridge and Beale Street Landing.  Paddling at about a 10-kilometer race pace, I aimed for a time of about seven minutes.  I rested for 2-3 minutes in between pieces.  There was a pretty good south wind blowing, and it made about a 20-second difference in either direction--that is, my time was around 6:40 with a tailwind and about 7:20 with a headwind.  This was a tough workout.  Already tired from Saturday's long paddle, I was feeling it by the end of the first piece and I just had to grin and bear it through the next five.

And now I'm ready for some recovery time.  I'm taking today off and I'll do an easier paddle tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment