Sunday, January 1, 2017

Pain without suffering

“Pain is inevitable but suffering is optional.”

I'm afraid I don't know the origin of this quote, but it sums up nicely the whole idea of participating in sports.

I did a two-hour paddle this morning, and I experienced what I would call more discomfort than pain.  By the time I re-entered the harbor and saw the marina some fifteen minutes in the distance, my efforts of the previous one hundred five minutes had left me fatigued and achy, but it was a feeling I've had thousands of times and I've learned to take it in stride and know it will be over soon enough.

In other words, I wasn't suffering.  The chilly temperatures and grey skies gave me some lovely sights to see.  From the marina I paddled out of the harbor and up the Mississippi to the mouth of the Wolf River, and then up the Wolf a couple of miles to the Danny Thomas Boulevard bridge.  Then I turned around and came back.

My plan for the next several months is to do a longer paddle once a week, usually on Sunday.  My other sessions during the week will be the usual 60 to 90 minutes.

I'm trying to change whatever I've been doing that has caused the plantar fasciitis, and I'm starting that with an effort to relax my feet as much as I can.  I still want to use my legs to get maximum rotation, but I think I need to make sure I'm using my legs against the footboard and the footstrap, and not my feet.

I got home from North Carolina last Monday and paddled on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.  I also did my current strength routine Tuesday, Thursday, and yesterday.  So it's been a good solid week of offseason work.

No comments:

Post a Comment