Sunday, March 22, 2020

Staying busy in the boat

Adam Davis came back down to join me yesterday morning.  We paddled out of the harbor, up the Mississippi to the mouth of the Wolf River, and up the Wolf to the Danny Thomas Boulevard (U.S. 51) bridge before turning around and heading back to where we'd started.  I've paddled this route many, many times, but thanks to Adam and his G.P.S. device, I finally have a map of it to show everybody:


As you can see, the distance was almost 10 miles for Adam.  Since I started and finished at the marina about a mile farther north in the harbor, my distance came to about 12 miles.  Once I got back to the dock I orbited for several minutes to make a nice, neat 120 minutes.

Yesterday's high temperature was around 55 degrees Fahrenheit, but it was in the mid 40s during the time Adam and I were paddling.  My feet were thoroughly chilled by the time I got back to the dock.

We had a rare few hours of sunshine yesterday afternoon, but by this morning it was overcast once more, with rain in the forecast.  I managed to get about three-quarters of my 60-minute paddle in before raindrops started falling.  I mostly paddled steady but threw in a long, pretty hard surge in the last 15 minutes, just because I felt like it.  Since there's not much to "train" for right now, I'll be doing what I feel like pretty much all the time.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment