Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Post Number Two

Back already... not used to this yet.

This morning I did another six laps of my strength exercise circuit and another eighty minutes in the boat.

I'm starting up the training a little later this year than I have in the past.  The main reason is that the race I take most seriously, the Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race here at Memphis, is some six weeks later this year than it's been before.  The race had always been the first Saturday in May, but after having to cancel the event for two years in a row (because of violent storms in the area in 2010 and near-record flooding on the Mississippi River last year), race director Joe Royer decided to try it out in June, when weather patterns tend to be more stable and river levels are historically more moderate.  The race will be June 16 this year.

Every year I take a little time off in the fall from paddling and training.  Summers here in Memphis have a way of draining away every ounce of energy and enthusiasm I've got.  Typically, by the end of August I don't want to see a boat or a paddle for a good long time.  As I back off from training for a while, I immerse myself fully in my woodworking and all the other little things I don't find time for during my competitive season.  And I get all happy and comfy with life out of the boat.  By the time November is giving way to December, I'm asking myself, "Oh boy... do I really have it in me to train up for another race season?"

So far, the answer has always turned out to be yes.  Each year I look for some new twist on the old routine to help keep myself interested.  As I ease back into training for the 2012 season, I'm approaching both my paddling and my strength conditioning from slightly different angles, and I'll explain more about that soon.

Making things a little easier is that this winter has been incredibly mild so far.  Actually, today is probably the closest thing to a bleak winter day that I've paddled in so far--occasional drizzle, a blustery north wind that was just strong enough to make the upriver legs a little unpleasant--but with temperatures near 50 degrees, it's really not that bad.  I haven't worn pogies but maybe three times so far this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment