Sunday, November 30, 2014

Not smooth yet, but not as rough either

For my second paddling session for the past week, I had a choice between Friday, which was forecast to be sunny but chilly, and yesterday, expected to be warmer but cloudy.  I opted for warmer but cloudy, and as a bonus I also got windy.  The misery factor for a windy day isn't too bad as long as it's warmer than 55 degrees Fahrenheit or so, but windy almost always means wet.  Enough waves found their way into my cockpit that I was sitting in a big puddle of water by the end of my sixty minutes in the boat.

Oh well... I was dressed appropriately, and "skin is waterproof," as the counselors at summer camp used to tell me.  I continued my efforts from Wednesday's session to use my legs and lower torso as much as possible.  It felt somewhat laborious, but not like it had on Wednesday, and that's something I've always found interesting and fun about doing something with your body: trying something you're not used to can feel awkward or even painful at first, but if you stick with it it doesn't take that long for it to become second-nature.  Meanwhile, I'm still observing other fundamentals of paddling, such as keeping the boat running smoothly and quietly, and I think if I can put this all together the result will be greater power in my strokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment