Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Technical intensity

I went downtown to paddle in the mid-afternoon today.  It had been a grey, chilly, cheerless day, and as I put on my paddling clothes at home some rain began to fall.  But as I drove downtown blue sky moved in from the northwest, and I ended up paddling in bright sunshine.  I found myself somewhat overdressed because I had expected bleak conditions.  I paddled hatless because I had only brought a fleece cap.

I paddled for 60 minutes and spent the whole time concentrating on rotating in my lower torso.  In the past I'd always thought I was rotating pretty well, but I think at least in this past season I was using my arms and shoulders a bit too much, putting stress on my latissimus and trapezius muscles.

Isolating one small part of my technique and focusing hard on it makes for a mentally exhausting session, even when I keep the intensity low like I did today.  At one point I did some one-sided paddling drills to break up the monotony as much as anything else.  I found myself picking up a theme I had just started before my long break began: using the foot strap to involve my legs more.  I tried to accompany each forward stroke with a hard pump of my leg on that side, which in turn pushed my hip back and lengthened my rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment