Sunday, June 12, 2016

Racing out of the Ozark foothills

I made the trip over to Batesville, Arkansas, yesterday, and not only am I still struggling in the downriver boat, but also I think it might not be a good idea to be paddling it with the hip troubles I've had.  My injured spot was hurting badly during the last several miles yesterday.  I may have to abort my trip down to the Chickasawhay River race.

We lined up below Lock & Dam No. 2 some seven and a half miles (11 kilometers) upstream of town, and off we went.  Phil Capel of Sherwood, Arkansas, led me by 30 or 40 meters in the early going, and I worked hard to try to pull even with him.  I was trying to avoid his wake so it wouldn't mess with my rudderless boat, but on the meandering White River I had to cross it several times.  With several hard sprints I finally managed to get up on his stern, and then I took the lead with a strong surge.  I knew I was working hard, but I thought maybe I could pull this one off.

My lead didn't last long, however.  Phil took a better line than I did around the next bend, and with a strong surge of his own he shot back into the lead.  In the blink of an eye he had a hundred meters on me, and the wind was gone from my sails.  By this time the pain and fatigue were taking their toll and I limped to the finish line in total survival mode.

This morning I'm feeling a bit stiff but not too bad overall.  I plan to go downtown for a short easy paddle in the surf ski just to loosen up and help my muscles recover.  I think my greater challenge for the coming week is to get some confidence back.  Less than a decade ago I was racing quite well in my downriver boat in events like the USCA Nationals and the Hatchie River Race, and to be struggling so now has dampened my mojo.  It's a clash between my traditional attitude--a somewhat brash and not entirely rational belief that I can hop in any race boat and be one of the better racers in this part of the country--and several realities, such as my lack of practice in that boat in recent years and my less-than-sound skeletomuscular health.  And, yes, my slow but inexorable age advancement.  I never like to admit it to myself, but maybe there are some things I just don't do as well as I used to.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't wallow in some self-pity in that last mile or so yesterday, but I refuse to look back on the weekend that way.  In fact, I had a pleasant drive across the Arkansas Delta, saw some good friends on the water, and paddled a lovely section of the White River.  And with my favorite event of the year, the Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race, just six days away, I have a chance to get myself back on track athletically.

No comments:

Post a Comment