Friday, May 19, 2017

The river's still up

Having started the new strength routine Wednesday, I was sore as I paddled away from the dock yesterday.  My triceps and armpit area is where I felt it the most--I guess that was probably from the pullups.  I was all the way to the mouth of the harbor before I was finally loosening up a little.

The Mississippi River had been dropping slowly from its crest last weekend, and registered 35.2 feet on the Memphis gauge while I was out yesterday.  Knowing that it might be my last chance to explore the flooded bottomland on the Arkansas side for this particular high-water event, I wanted to head back over there.  There was a pretty strong south wind blowing and the river was choppy, but I was feeling relatively bold and handled the conditions just fine as I ferried across just above the Hernando DeSoto Bridge.

There's an outlet channel from Dacus Lake a few hundred meters above the HDB, and I paddled up that, savoring the protection from the wind that the wooded environs provided.  Then I paddled out onto Dacus Lake and looped around through the flooded bottomland to its south, rode the sluice of current flowing under the HDB, paddled through some more submerged bottomland, and finally re-entered the main river channel directly across from the mouth of the harbor.  By the time I'd ferried back across the river and re-entered the harbor I'd had a pretty good tempo session.

No comments:

Post a Comment