Friday, November 3, 2017

Recommended reading

Regarding this post from a couple of weeks ago: I should point out that the "fascination with the process" concept is not something I came up with myself.  Former U.S. whitewater slalom team coach Bill Endicott has mentioned this concept many times in his various books.

The reason I bring this up now is that I've just seen the topic brought up by slalom-racer-turned-English-teacher Alden Bird on his blog.  He's written a good review of the book Every Crushing Stroke by U.S. slalom Olympian Scott Shipley, whose influences include Mr. Endicott.

I got myself a copy of Shipley's book shortly after it came out just like Alden did.  Even though it's more about whitewater paddling than the sort of paddling I'm mostly doing these days, it's still been a significant influence on my overall approach to training and even to life itself.  Longtime readers of this blog have seen me refer to it once in a while.  I don't think it's in print anymore but there are probably copies floating around here in cyberspace.  I recommend it highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment