Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Fighting fatigue and getting ready to race

When I paddled with Dawid Mocke on Monday he had his Go Pro camera hooked to his life jacket, and a couple of times he pointed it at me.  Here are a couple of brief clips he sent me:




Yesterday I felt absolutely fried from Monday's paddling, but with everything I've got invested in the trip out here, I felt I had to go out and do at least one downwind run.  I went out with the intention of keeping the intensity low, but that's easier said than done in a downwind setting.  I tried to take some rest intervals in between chasing runs, and work on some little things.  I held up okay for a while but spent the last third of the session practically floating along.

Here's a video clip of one of my best moments out there:



I woke up today still feeling rather tired.  Once again I felt the need for a break but also felt the need to be out on the river lapping up as much downwind goodness as possible while I'm out here.  Then the announcement came down from the race organizers that after studying the wind forecast, they have decided that tomorrow will be our race day.  Just like that, my plan for today became simple.  I would do an easy paddle and otherwise rest today in preparation for tomorrow's competition.  Then I'll be able to spend Friday and Saturday surfing until I drop.

I went down to the riverfront in the late morning and paddled there for 40 minutes.  I did four 12-stroke sprints and otherwise paddled easy.  Since then I've been trying to take it easy, eat good, and stay hydrated.  My biggest challenge for tomorrow will be disregarding all the hype and hoopla surrounding this event and all the world-class athletes walking around, and just go out and have a good 14-mile paddle on the river.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment