Friday, July 5, 2019

Training continues apace

After the fairly substantial weekend paddling I'd done, I was ready for a recovery paddle when I went down to the riverfront on Tuesday.  I paddled easy for 60 minutes.  The Mississippi River is still very high here (35.5 feet on the Memphis gauge Tuesday), and I was able to paddle in the slack water of the flooded Greenbelt Park.

I went back downtown yesterday and got out Joe's V10 Sport surf ski with the hope of doing a "play" workout on some towboat wakes.  But after warming up and doing three 8-stroke sprints in the harbor, I headed out onto the mighty Mississippi and found no barge traffic whatsoever.  Maybe the towboat pilots were all observing the national holiday.  I paddled all the way down to the big bend in the river below the Memphis-Arkansas Bridge just to make sure there were no northbound rigs approaching; there were none.

So, a "work" workout it would be.  I headed back upriver along the Arkansas bank and commenced a set of twelve 30-second sprints at three-minute intervals.  This is a workout I've done a lot in recent years; I usually do ten sprints, but yesterday I stretched it out since I've got a downwind race looming that will require a lot of short sprints.  Sometimes this workout feels brutal, and sometimes it feels good; yesterday was one of the better days.  The fatigue was definitely getting to me in the last three or four sprints, but my form held up well.

I did the strength routine Monday, Wednesday, and today.  I'd say my muscular health has been mostly good lately, though my current woodworking project has provided some occasional strain: I'm making a table with some very heavy oak slabs that the client provided.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment