Friday, October 4, 2019

Illness is never timely

The top story this week is that I've come down with a pretty bad cold.  My throat started feeling sore on Sunday, and that's the typical sign that I've got one coming on.  Since then my condition has followed the familiar trajectory.  My sinuses are swollen and clogged, and my energy level is low as my body has had to fight off this crud.

I've mainly spent this week trying to get as much rest as I possibly can, hoping that maybe I'll be through the worst of this by the time I line up to race tomorrow.  On Tuesday Joe and I paddled a half-lap of the harbor, and that was it.  Today I went back downtown and paddled for 50 minutes, doing six 12-stroke sprints at two-minute intervals midway through.  Once I was warmed up I actually felt okay in the boat.  Probably my biggest impediment was my body's current achey state, and I may just have to accept that tomorrow's race may involve a bit more discomfort than usual.  In any case, this is my last race of the year and I expect it'll take a triple-digit fever to stop me from going.

One bit of good news: I'm pleased to report that my eye exam revealed nothing out of the ordinary on Monday.  The doctor updated my glasses prescription, but said everything otherwise looks good.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment