Sunday, January 12, 2020

Dodging violent weather

Some strong storms hit Memphis and the Mid South in the pre-dawn hours yesterday.  I was among the fortunate residents: my electricity was out for only several hours, and the strongest winds seemed to miss my block.  Later in the morning when I headed for the river, I saw trees down on several houses and other moderate to severe damage in neighborhoods adjacent to mine.

The wind had calmed down and the rain had just about stopped when I got downtown just before 10 o'clock.  My boat and everything else on the dock seemed to have weathered the storm just fine.  The temperature would be dropping throughout the day, but it was still warm enough to paddle without pogies.

During my 60 minutes in the boat I got rained on some but endured nothing too oppressive.  I stayed in the harbor and paddled at my normal cruising pace, a little harder at times and a little easier at times.  There were moments when I could feel a bit of pain in my rib, but overall it held up well.  It felt okay for the rest of the day, and that was an encouraging sign.  I plan to keep easing back into paddling and carefully increasing the stress on my ribcage area.

It turned out that I'd hit the day's best window for paddling.  By the early afternoon it was drizzling hard and the wind was back up as the front came through that sent temperatures downward.

Today the violent weather is all gone.  It's just gloomy and rather cheerless: overcast with the temperature not rising much above 40 degrees Fahrenheit.  This morning I did the same strength routine I described in my last post, with the stair-climbs and lunges and core exercises.  Then I took my bike out for a workout.  There was a tree down on my loop in the woods, so I ended up doing some shorter sprints up a gradual incline.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment