Friday, January 10, 2020

Doing the legwork

I got in the boat Tuesday and paddled very easy in the harbor for 80 minutes.  I could definitely feel some pain in my right ribcage area.  It wasn't really a surprise, seeing as how the injury is still healing; the challenge now is not to come back too fast.  Since Tuesday I've avoided stressing the area, and I plan to try paddling again tomorrow.

I've spent the rest of the week working my legs hard along with a couple of core exercises.  In Overton Park just west of my house there's a paved loop in a heavily-wooded area, and I've been riding my bike a lot there because of the wind protection.  According to my G.P.S. device, the loop is 1.41 miles (2.27 kilometers) long, and 1.02 miles (1.64 km) of the loop is closed to motorized traffic.  So I've been doing laps where I go hard over the carless part and use the remaining 0.39 mile (0.63 km) for recovery.  On Monday I did four of these laps; after the first and third laps I stopped to do sets of 60 Hindu squats.

On other days I do a strength routine at the house.  I do several versions of running up stairs, a static core exercise with the stability ball (demonstrated at 1:56 of this video), lunges while holding a couple of dumbbells down at my sides, and the core exercise demonstrated at 3:52 of this video.  I did this routine Tuesday morning before I went to the river.

By Wednesday I was feeling considerable fatigue in my legs and sensed the need to back off a little.  I did another four laps in Overton Park but this time I paced them out more evenly.  My legs didn't exactly get off light, as I did another two sets of 60 Hindu squats.

I was again feeling strain in the legs yesterday, and when I did that strength routine I did just one set each of the stair runs and lunges while doing two sets of the core exercises.  Then I rode my bike to the bank and back, maybe a 5-mile (8-kilometer) round trip.

I'm taking today completely off and hoping to paddle tomorrow feeling fresher.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment