Monday, February 10, 2020

Wrapping up the trip

I'm trying to relax a little after the hardest week of paddling I've had in quite a while.  I paddled twice a day for most of last week, and much of it was high-intensity effort.  I'm pretty sure I'm coming away a better downwind paddler than I was when I first got here, but even if I'm not, at least I got in a solid block of training for the mostly-flatwater races coming up this spring.

I spent my last full day in South Africa doing the tourist thing in Cape Town.  This morning I took a stroll around the waterfront district.  It's largely a tourist trap but it was nice being by the water.

This afternoon I got a bit more ambitious and took a hike to the top of Table Mountain.  Looking up at it from Cape Town, I could tell it was going to be a bear of a hike, and it didn't disappoint.  It took me close to two hours to get to the top on a rough trail with lots of loose gravel and angular rocks and poor footing.  If I hadn't spent the month of January working my legs hard, I'd probably be in a world of pain right now.

Tomorrow I begin the long journey back to the U.S. of A.  I'm going to miss this nice summer weather, but in most respects I'm eager to be back home.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment