Sunday, April 19, 2020

Shorter and faster

Yesterday morning was chilly but the sun was coming out.  I went down to the river with the intention of doing something shorter and quicker than what I've mostly been doing lately.

I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints.  It was my first time in weeks doing these sprints, and they did feel a bit rusty, but not as bad as I was expecting.

I left the harbor and headed downriver toward the Harahan Bridge.  I had a workout in mind that I thought might combine some higher-intensity paddling with some boat control.  Starting in an eddy on the Arkansas bank upstream of the bridge, I paddled out into the river and looped around the nearest piling.  Then I ferried back to the Arkansas bank and paddled back up to the eddy where I'd started.  Sounds simple enough, but this lap took me around four and a half minutes and included navigating the boiling water below the bridge piling, doing a long ferry back to shore, and doing sort of an attainment move to complete it.  I ended up calling it a "giant slalom" because it was something I might have done while training for slalom on smaller rivers scaled up by a pretty big factor.  I did four laps with three minutes recovery in between.  I treated it more as a "play" workout than as a serious on-the-clock sort of thing, but I was suitably tired by the time it was over.

Yesterday blossomed into a gorgeous sunny day, but by this morning some more rain had moved in.  I went downtown this morning and paddled for 60 minutes in a fine mist that occasionally swelled into actual rainfall.  I did another set of 8-strokers and then just paddled a comfortable pace the rest of the time.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the pain in my right arm and shoulder is healing.  It had hurt badly for a solid week and I was starting to get concerned, but now it's feeling quite a bit better.  It's not completely gone yet but I like the direction it's headed.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment