Friday, April 24, 2020

Enjoying the nice and not-so-nice days

One thing the global pandemic hasn't stopped is the blossoming of spring.  Lately we've been having several lovely sunny days a week, and I'm trying to make a point of enjoying them.  My house has a rather nice deck out back of which I've never fully availed myself: those who have known me well for years will tell you that I'm sort of a busy buzzin' bee who has trouble sitting still.  But in the last several weeks I've made time toward the end of each beautiful day to sit out there and just savor the moment.

Tuesday was one such gorgeous day.  That morning I did a round of the strength routine and then headed downtown to paddle a loop of the harbor with Joe.

By Wednesday afternoon a system of rain had moved in--we're still getting plenty of rain this spring, too--and yesterday morning I paddled in a lingering drizzle.  After warming up and doing three 8-stroke sprints I headed out on to the Mississippi, where a growing south breeze was generating the slightest hint of some downwind conditions.  I've mentioned in the past that getting help from the tiny bumps is an area where I need to improve, so I spent a half-hour or so yesterday paddling upriver and working on that.  For much of the time the conditions just weren't defined enough for me to do much good, but maybe once or twice I got a little ride... hey, you do what you can with the conditions you've got.  If nothing else, I got some good exercise out there on our big beautiful river.

This morning I did another round of the strength routine.  Right now it's partly sunny and I think it will be a nice day.  It looks like more rain is on its way for the weekend.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment