Thursday, June 24, 2021

More intensity

These days my training plan has shifted its focus more in favor of speed and lactic fitness.  That means somewhat shorter, more intense workouts and not so much grinding resistance training.

Maks started me off pretty easy on Tuesday: I did four sets of (3 minutes at 60 strokes per minute/2 min. at 66 spm/1 min. at 72 spm), with a minute break between the pieces and 2 minutes between sets.  It was a chance to concentrate on good stroke mechanics.

Yesterday I had a "speed endurance" workout.  It was three sets of eight times (10 seconds on/50 sec. off). Maks told me to paddle at about 85-90% of my top stroke rate (for me, around 110 spm) and take long breaks between the sets.  He said "the exhaustion will start to creep on you" as I got deep into each set, but I'm not sure it really did.  I think I was doing the sprints the way I was supposed to, but "exhaustion" isn't the word I would use to describe what I was feeling at any point.  By the end of it I was certainly ready for the workout to be over, but then I just shrugged and said "Okay... I guess that's it!"  Oh well.  There's nothing I can do but move on to the next day.

And that would be today, when I went out for a "high aerobic" workout: ten times (4 min. on, 1 min. off) at a strong 66-70 spm.  Per Maks's instructions, I stayed focused in the late stages of the session, when it's easy not to stay strong.  I felt good throughout and came home happy.

The coming weekend is my last in Memphis before I head for the Pacific Northwest.  Once again the training schedule looks like a challenge.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment