Thursday, July 29, 2021

Rediscovering some get-up-and-go

I'm slowly getting settled back into life at home.  There have been all kinds of little things to take care of--things that got ignored during my three weeks away--and little by little I'm getting them knocked out.  The heat has been sweltering since my return: the daily Fahrenheit highs have been in the mid 90s with triple-digit heat indices.  Most of my days out West were quite hot, but not this kind of hot.

I paddled sparingly in the week after departing the Columbia Gorge, but now I'm starting to do more of that, too.  Maks and I have agreed that several easy, relaxed weeks are in order, and he asked me if I even wanted him to send me a workout plan; I told him to go ahead and do so, since even during easy periods I like having some structure.  So he's sent me some workouts that put a premium on technique and skill without taxing me too much.

On Tuesday I paddled half a lap of the harbor with Joe and his grandson Jackson.  Once we'd parted company, I was nicely warmed up and commenced that day's workout.  It was supposed to go as follows: eight sets of five consecutive 1-minute pieces, with the stroke rate going from 45 strokes per minute to 65 spm to 55 spm to 65 spm.  But once I was in the boat I couldn't remember the exact stroke rate sequence, and I ended up doing 45 spm/55 spm/65 spm/75 spm.  So I got in a bit more intensity than what was intended, but I don't think I deviated too far from the spirit of the workout.

Yesterday I made sure I'd memorized the workout before heading to the river.  I did three sets of four (30 seconds at 90 spm/90 seconds rest).  I took longer rest periods between the sets.  The long recoveries enabled me to focus on good form and technique during the sprints.

This morning I stayed home and did a gym session.  I hadn't done strength work of any kind since before my trip and I'd like to get a good routine going again.

It's very hot again today and looks to remain that way for the next couple of days.  But the forecast is showing milder temperatures for most of next week, and I'm looking forward to that.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment