Sunday, August 1, 2021

Easier paddling that's still technical

Friday morning I was feeling some soreness from the previous day's gym routine, but it wasn't too bad.  I went down to the river and paddled a calm 50 minutes.  The smoky haze from the wildfires out West was the thickest I'd seen since getting home a week earlier.

Yesterday morning was sunnier but there was still quite a bit of haze hanging in the air.  I still had some soreness but I could tell it was running its course.  I got in the boat and did a speed session: three sets of four 10-second sprints at 2-minute intervals.  Maks told me to use flying starts and try to reach as high a stroke rate as I could, noting that I might not actually be as fast as I would be with a more controlled stroke rate, but that the point of the workout was "to activate fast muscle tissues and move fast."  I moved as fast as I could and was getting up to around 130 strokes per minute, according to my cadence sensor.  In between sets I gave myself ten minutes of relaxed paddling.

This morning I went down to the riverfront and did six sets of (2 minutes at 50 spm/1 min. at 80 spm/1 min. at 50 spm/1 min. at 80 spm/2 min. rest).  The objective, as with most of these "contrast" workouts, was to find a good grip on the water at the lower stroke rate and then replicating it at the higher stroke rate.

A front came through overnight and this morning we finally had some relief from the sweltering heat that had gripped the Mid South since I got home from my trip.   It looks like the cooler temperatures will last for most of the coming week.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment