Friday, March 31, 2023

Looking ahead and, I hope, inward

I've spent this week getting settled back at home and figuring out what's next in terms of canoe and kayak racing.  I'm not feeling particularly anxious or in a hurry about it.  For a couple of weeks I think I'll be paddling without a whole lot of structure--whatever I feel like, basically.  Sometime soon I need to ease into another gym routine, too.

On Tuesday I paddled for 60 minutes.  It was sunny but cool with a chilly north breeze, and I was rather underdressed.  I was used to the warm weather I'd had down on the coast last weekend, and I guess I was trying to will it to continue back here.

Yesterday morning it was a few degrees warmer, and I was better-layered.  I paddled for 60 minutes again.  The river has been rising this week as a result of last week's storms that moved across the Tennessee, Cumberland, and Ohio watersheds.

Maybe the biggest news of the week was my visit to an orthopedist's office yesterday afternoon.  My chiropractor had told me that after all the physical therapy and chiropractic therapy and massage therapy I've been through in the last couple of years, it might be time to have an M.R.I. to find out what the problem really is and why none of that stuff has helped.  Though I agreed with her, I'd been putting off seeking such a procedure because I dreaded the fight I would surely get from my insurance company.  But yesterday the doctor, with no real prodding from me, said he thought it was time for an M.R.I.  So now I'm in line to get one, and while I have no delusions of my insurance company respecting a doctor's medical opinion, I hope maybe it'll go along.

The doctor did take X-rays, and while X-rays can't see through bone, the doctor said they help him make an educated guess at what the M.R.I. might reveal.  He pointed out some compression of the vertebrae near the right side of my neck as well as a couple of small bone spurs.

In any case, I'm feeling upbeat at the moment because after months of having these problems worked on with no success, I'm now trying something that should shed some light on what's really going on.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment