Thursday, April 20, 2023

Keeping it moving in unremarkable fashion

On Tuesday morning I did a gym session and then headed for the river to paddle.  My arms were achey and tired as I warmed up in the boat, partly because of the gym session and partly because of some work I'd done in my woodworking shop Monday afternoon: I'd done some aggressive planing on some tough oak boards.

After the warmup and a set of three 8-stroke sprints, I commenced a workout of eight 200-meter pieces starting every 4th minute.  I kept the stroke rate around 80 strokes per minute--very controlled for 200 meters.  I aimed for my goal pace of 12 kilometers per hour (that would be one minute for 200 meters), but with a tailwind my speed was more like 12.5-13.0 kph, and so my time for each piece was a little under a minute.

I stayed busy yesterday with out-of-the-boat things.  This morning I went out for an unstructured 60-minute paddle.  There was a strong wind blowing from the south, and when I reached the mouth of the harbor I saw some small but workable downwind conditions out on the Mississippi.  I played around just off the tip of Mud Island for a little while, and couldn't really relax because the water was still quite cold and I wasn't really dressed for a swim.  It didn't help that I was paddling my least-stable surfski with a short rudder.  I much prefer mid-summer for my downwinding.  But at least I got some paddling in.  I used the trip back to the dock to relax and take good strokes.

We've had Fahrenheit highs in the low 80s this week, but it looks like later today a line of storms will move through that might have some strong winds with it.  Then it's supposed to get quite a bit cooler.  The current forecast shows high temperatures in the 60s all next week.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment