Sunday, July 9, 2023

Last weekend before the big road trip

Friday morning I went for my last run and did my last gym session before I leave for New England.  I can't recall anything that's made me sweat more than those gym sessions have the last few weeks.

I was out of the boat for the second Saturday in a row.  My 90-year-old aunt up in Jackson, Tennessee, has been in poor health, and I accompanied my mom up there to pay her a visit.  Once again I feel a bit anxious about not being laser-focused on training with a substantial race just a week away, but you know how it is... certain things are more important.  And at this point there's really nothing I can do to be in any better form by the 15th of July anyway.

The weather has continued to be not especially hot but extremely humid.  There have been showers and thunderstorms scattered about the area for several days as well.  When I went down to the river this morning there was rain in the forecast but it wasn't expected to arrive until after I'd finished paddling.

I did a pretty good 90-minute paddle, covering a bit over 15 kilometers in that time.  I did a big loop out on the Mississippi, paddling down below the old bridges and then back up along the Arkansas bank above the Hernando DeSoto Bridge.  I used the session to test out my in-race hydration system to make sure it's working the way it should.

And... that's pretty much it for paddling before the Blackburn Challenge race next weekend, not counting a little bit of whitewater paddling and a few short sprints in the surfski.  Tomorrow I hit the road at last.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment