Monday, January 29, 2024

Toiling away in offseason obscurity

The never-ending frigid spell finally ended last Sunday when the temperature rose above freezing to stay.  By Monday it was up around 50 degrees Fahrenheit.  50 degrees never felt so warm.

On Tuesday I got in the boat for the first time in ten days.  I stayed in the harbor and did another round of work on my hip rotation.  I paddled for 60 minutes, and was reminded of how hard it is to focus on one mechanical aspect for that long.  But I really would like to get more comfortable with this change.  Rotating down at my hips should take stress off my arms and shoulders, where, as regular readers know, I've had a lot of discomfort for the last several years.

Before going to the river Tuesday I did a couple of sets of the exercises I've been doing lately--Hindu squats and core exercises on the stability ball.  I was still feeling sore from having started these exercises the previous week, especially in my abs and quads.  It was as stubborn an episode of soreness as I can remember.

I paddled another 60 minutes Friday, and again yesterday.  The theme remained the same as I focused on just one thing, how my body was moving in the boat.  I didn't worry about how fast I was going or what energy system I was working or any of that stuff.

And that's pretty much it for where I am these days.  Not a whole lot of excitement.  My first race of the year will probably be March 23 at Ocean Springs, but my mind isn't really in competitive mode these days.  I just want to paddle the best I can, and be ready to perform well whether it's in a race or in some more recreational undertaking.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment