Monday, April 22, 2024

Monday photo feature

A big reason I prefer to do my athletic stuff outdoors is the chance to see wildlife.  On the Memphis riverfront I see many species of waterfowl and wading birds, fish, beavers, turtles, and snakes.

Meanwhile, things I do in the middle of town--running and bike riding, primarily--might not offer as many wildlife-viewing opportunities, but there are a few.  When I ride my bike out to Shelby Farms like I did this past Thursday, I often see some wildlife in the park and in the adjacent Wolf River bottoms.  Most of the time it's deer, but on Thursday I came up on the creature pictured above near one of the smaller Shelby Farms lakes.  I could tell right away it wasn't poisonous; I'm not much of a snake expert, but I'm thinking maybe it was a king snake.  I dismounted my bike to watch it for a few minutes, snap its picture, and make sure it got across the path without being run over by other riders.  When I rode back through this location some twenty minutes later, it was nowhere in sight.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment