Monday, April 1, 2024

Monday photo feature

This image appeared in my social media feed recently.  It's a meme, and I know you're not supposed to think too deeply about such things, but this one got my pedantic juices flowing.  I offer the following observations:

--Whoever created this image must not be a whitewater paddler.  Two of the four states in the "where you never go" category--West Virginia and Idaho--have some of the best whitewater in the world.

--I couldn't disagree more that the Mountain West states and Alaska have a monopoly on "nature."  I honestly think every state in the Union can make some kind of claim to being a nature destination, but for the sake of arguing I would at least add the Carolinas, New Mexico, Maine, and the Pacific Northwest states to that list.

--I must be poor, because I've visited those four deep-orange states many, many times.  Of course, that's largely because the city I live in is nestled right in the middle of that region.

--I'm not rich, but I've been to Hawaii.  Granted, when I visited that state, I availed myself of the Poor Man's Special by staying with my cousin, a colonel in the U.S. army who was living with his family on-base at Pearl Harbor Hickam at the time.  I visited only the island of Oahu.  Airplane is the most viable means of transportation to the other islands, and that would have involved greater outlays of wealth.

--I have lived in two of the cities in the state of Tennessee, and they are both city enough for me.  I don't need to go to those yellow states just to see a city, though I did in fact live in New York City for a couple of years.  Speaking of those yellow states... there's nothing to distinguish California, Maryland, Illinois, and New York State but their cities?  Really?

--I've spent much time in the state of North Carolina, and considering all it's got going for it, I'm puzzled that the creator of this meme could think of nothing better to do with it than lump it together with Florida and Arizona as a place for tanning and elderly people.

--I will admit that there is some truth to the characterization of the Great Plains states.  Pretty much every time I've visited this region I've been en route to or from the Rockies or the West Coast.  But several of those times I went out of my way to spend some quality time there, and I didn't regret it.  Meanwhile, I have no idea why New Mexico is lumped into the category of "where you go on the way to somewhere better."


I'm proud to say that I have visited every one of the 50 states.  I have also paddled a boat at least once in 47 of the 50 states, and hope to do so in the remaining three before long.  Those three are Arizona, which, if it's the Lord's will, I'll pick up when I paddle through the Grand Canyon in August and September of next year; Minnesota, an entirely accessible place that I just need to make time to visit with my boat; and Alaska, which might require the same kind of planning that I'm currently putting into the Grand Canyon trip.

In short, I think every place has dignity and value.  I don't care if it's majestic mountains, picturesque seashore, or desolate prairie.  I know this meme is supposed to be just for laughs, but it rubs me the wrong way somehow.  Categorizing the states based on snide generalizations does injustice to the experiences one can have in each of them.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment