Saturday, April 26, 2014

Messing about constructively

It was lovely and warm and calm this morning, so I took out the K1 and just played around in the harbor for 60 minutes.

One rule I try to follow in any sport I'm involved in is to identify aspects of the sport I'm not very good at, and work hard on those things.  I'm not so good at paddling that K1 at a high intensity level, so I worked on that today, doing a bunch of 6-stroke sprints and timing myself from one set of pilings to the other beneath the Auction Avenue bridge (about 31 seconds, two or three slower than my best time in the surf ski).  I could feel my upper back tense up whenever I took off on a sprint, so I tried hard to rotate at my waist and push the boat forward with my feet.

Last week I mentioned that I wanted to incorporate some more backpaddling with the hope of alleviating my back pain, so I did some of that today, too.  Keeping my balance in that boat is hard enough without also not seeing where I'm going, but I'll keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment