Monday, April 28, 2014

I would love to post the flatwater team roster here...

...just like I did for the slalom team back on the first of this month.  But I do not yet have that information.

One thing I find very frustrating is how hard it is to get results and related information anytime there is a selection trials or big international competition in the Olympic disciplines of whitewater slalom and flatwater sprint.  The website for the sport's governing body in this country, USA Canoe/Kayak, is pretty worthless unless you want to wait however many days it takes them to get the results posted.  Usually a better source of information is the website maintained by the host venue or organization, but the quality of such a source varies widely.

The U.S. Team Trials for flatwater sprint took place in Oklahoma City this past weekend.  On the USACK website today there is a "preview" of the trials posted, but no results.  I did some poking around and found this page with results for all the many heats and boat classes and age groups, but it does not answer what I consider the most obvious question at the end of a selection trials:  Who, exactly, made the team?  What athletes will be representing the United States in the world cup and world championships this summer?

Perhaps I shouldn't be so critical.  After all, USACK and these other organizations are understaffed and underfunded and often rely on overworked volunteers, and getting a website updated requires somebody to sit down and do yet more work.  But a big reason that our sport continues to languish in obscurity is that it is often impossible to find out what is going on.  And I know I am not the only fan who is interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment