Monday, April 26, 2021

Monday photo feature

In case any readers don't know what I'm talking about when I talk about adding resistance to the boat, here's a photo of how I do it.  It's just a thin bungee cord with several golf whiffle balls on it, wrapped around the boat just aft of the seat bucket where I can reach it.  Sliding one or more of the balls down below the waterline creates drag, forcing me to put more power into my strokes.

The bungee cord itself creates a bit of drag.  If the workout calls for "small resistance," I slide one whiffle ball down underwater.  For "moderate resistance," I use two.  For "big resistance," I use all three of the balls shown here.  For any greater resistance than that, I'll have to go pick up some more whiffle balls.

I'd love to tell you that this method of adding resistance is my original idea, but it's not.  Canoe and kayak racers have been doing it this way for many, many years.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment