Friday, August 7, 2026

I'm ready to try another race

We started this week with some remarkably cool weather.  I think we only just barely hit 80 degrees Fahrenheit on Monday.  But now the wind has shifted to the south, and the heat is slowly but surely creeping back in.   It's feeling like a Memphis summer again.  I've tried my best this week to prepare myself for this Saturday's race, 15 miles (24.14 kilometers) down the Mississippi River from Grafton, Illinois, to Alton, Illinois.

I had a doctor's appointment Tuesday morning, so I didn't get down to the river until the mid afternoon.  I'm definitely a morning person when it comes to athletic stuff: by afternoon my energy is starting to wane a bit, and on many days my digestion acts up at that time of day.  I much prefer to do my training in the morning and spend the rest of the day working in the shop or whatever else needs doing in my non-athletic life.

And so it was that my stomach was a little upset Tuesday afternoon, but I managed to paddle for 40 minutes and do a set of six 12-stroke sprints at two-minute intervals.

I was back on my morning schedule yesterday, and I did pretty much the same thing: 40 minutes in the boat, six 12-stroke sprints.

This morning I paddled for 30 minutes and did four 12-stroke sprints.  Then I started driving north--upriver--toward the greater Saint Louis area.  I'm in a motel now and hoping for a good night's sleep so I'll be ready to go in the morning.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment