Friday, August 10, 2012

Life goes on away from the Games

This morning my nephew Joel and I watched some of NBC's taped coverage of the 200-meter action from Eton Dorney.  This afternoon, we decided to go out paddling ourselves.  After all, watching is fun, but doing is better.

The last time Joel and I paddled the tandem together, we paddled up the Mississippi to the Hernando DeSoto Bridge.  Today we decided to go downriver to the trio of old bridges (the newest of which is the Memphis-Arkansas Bridge, built in the late 1940s).

We looped around the western-most bridge pilings and paddled back up the Arkansas side.  A towboat was moving upriver above us, and when it was time for us to ferry back across the river we had its wake to deal with.  It was a bumpy ride, and I said to myself, "Stay relaxed, Joel... stay relaxed, Joel."  Then I said it out loud, and he did what I said.  I praised him for a job well done once we were safely back in the harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment