Saturday, August 25, 2012

Very, very low

The lowest Memphis gauge reading ever for the Mississippi River is -10.7 feet back in the summer of 1988.  Right now, the level is about -9.4 feet.  I went down there and paddled for an hour this morning, and I'm pretty sure it's the lowest level I've ever paddled at.  The lowest level I can remember in the last decade or so is about -8.5 feet.

It's actually a great level for camping.  With all the sandbars exposed, the choice of sites is just about unlimited.  Martha and I should get out there soon to camp or at least to spend an afternoon exploring the vast expanses of sand.

Meanwhile, even at this near-record-low level, the Mississippi is a very big river.  The French Broad River, which drains a sizable chunk of western North Carolina, is a pretty big river for that part of the world, but the section I paddled last Sunday is no more than a third of the current width of the Mississippi at Memphis, and nowhere near the volume of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment