Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Facing the chill with a grin

Winter has settled in here in the Mid South.  The Fahrenheit temperature is expected to rise above 50 degrees only one day this week, and that day is supposed to be a rainy day.  The overnight lows aren't just brutal right now, but they're at freezing or a bit below.  It's suitable weather for the final days of December, I suppose.

Yesterday I paddled for 60 minutes on a gray, cheerless day with a temperature in the high thirties.  I paddled out on the river, and even though it wasn't that rough besides some small waves from a barge rig, I felt a bit tentative because I really didn't feel like going for a swim.  I have in fact flipped on cold days a couple of times in the past, and each time I climbed back on my ski and carried on, but it's not an experience I relish, and I don't need to be tempting fate any more than necessary.

Today I did the December strength routine for the last time.  The next time I do strength work it will be a new month and a new routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment