Thursday, March 10, 2016

Cats & dogs

Some serious rain moved in yesterday and has continued through today.  It's the same system that has caused major flooding in northern Louisiana and eastern Texas and southern Arkansas.  Here in the greater Memphis area we've been fortunate to get by with some localized flash-flooding.  Other than that we've just been soaking wet.

As promised, I took it easy for the first half of this week, although I'm not sure doing landscape work on my property is really "taking it easy."  I've been careful, but my back is nevertheless a bit sore from a lot of squatting and bending over.

Today was about the latest I could get in a workout from which my body might reap some benefit in time for the Ocean Springs race a week from Saturday.  Down on the harbor in a steady downpour, I did pieces of 1', 2', 2', 6', 2', 2', 6', 2', 2', 1' with two minutes recovery in between.  I did all ten pieces at about the maximum pace I hope to maintain (i.e., the pace during a long surge) in the race.

5 comments:

  1. hi dear friend, i'm planing to move to the memphis area , and i want to know if there is any place to practice flat water kayak or some club for practice with sprint kayaks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The harbor at downtown Memphis is ideal for sprint kayak training. This blog post describes the harbor in detail: http://mytrainingblogbyelmore.blogspot.com/2015/12/let-me-tell-you-about-our-harbor-here.html

    And there are other places. I have a friend who lives on the east side of Memphis who trains on Herb Parsons Lake. The lake at Shelby Farms has been closed for expansion but is supposed to be re-opening later this year.

    Sadly, we don't have a sprint-racing club. We've never had enough people here interested in racing for something like that to get off the ground. But I'd be happy to have you join me for workouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks , do you use a surfski? i'm going to be in memphis for 6 months and i also want to know if i can rent a surfski at less or any surfski club? thank for your invitation

      Delete
    2. I mostly paddle a surf ski, yes. I'm not sure where to find a rental here--Outdoors, Inc., possibly. We might be able to find one for you to borrow. I have a sprint K1 (Vanquish II) you could try.

      Where are you coming from?

      Delete
  3. thanks fot your help, i'm from venezuela , actually i make mi trainings with and old nelo moskito and a vanquish 1 , but we training in a really rrealy flat lagoone , i was in memphis a few months ago in december , the mississippi is a migthy river?

    ReplyDelete