Sunday, April 10, 2016

Beat to the socks

As I said in my last post, I did four one-mile pieces yesterday, preceded by a long paddle up the Mississippi and followed by a paddle back down the Mississippi and back up the harbor to the dock.  For recovery in between the pieces, I paddled easy for several tenths of a mile.  My overall time in the boat was 140 minutes, and in contrast to Thursday's workout, I was thoroughly worn out when it was over.  I don't think a workout like yesterday's is what Ernie Banks had in mind when he exclaimed "Let's play two!" on beautiful summer days at Wrigley Field.

With tomorrow and Tuesday reserved for recovery, I wanted to get another good-quality session in today.  Strong south winds were in today's forecast, but it wasn't that bad yet when I put my boat in the water this morning.  I paddled out of the harbor and up the Mississippi just above the Hernando DeSoto Bridge, and then paddled a brisk pace back downriver to get a bit of practice on the sort of water I'll be racing on at the end of the month.

Back in the harbor I started easy but built up into a strong pace all the way to the north end.  Aided by a tailwind, I was occasionally hitting 8 mph on the GPS.

I backed off the pace and paddled easy from the north end of the harbor back to the dock, though it didn't feel so easy because I was fighting a headwind that was becoming stronger by the minute.

Today's 90-minute session completed what turned out to be a bear of a weekend.  Now I get to relax for a couple of days and let my body build itself back up and get ready for greater challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment