Thursday, April 28, 2016

Detective work and race prep

I've spent the week trying to get some rest ahead of the Bluz Cruz Canoe and Kayak Race at Vicksburg this Saturday.  The distraction of my stolen boat hasn't helped.  Today I got a follow-up call from a police detective who told me it would be "very helpful" if I could provide the boat's serial number.  I feel like I've got that number written down somewhere, but I've looked all over and so far I haven't been able to find it.  I've moved at least four times in the nineteen years I've owned that boat, so there's no telling where that slip of paper might be.

One thing for certain is that I will know that boat immediately if I spot it somewhere.  It has some custom minicell outfitting glued inside it, it's got a sticker on it that not every Dagger Atom has... I even know the scratches on the boat, for crying out loud.  But of course, in the eyes of our legal system none of that carries the same weight as a serial number.

Oh well.  I'm feeling about ready to race on Saturday.  I did some 12-stroke sprints in the harbor both Tuesday and yesterday, and I'll do a few more tomorrow morning before I throw the boat on the car and head south.  The weather forecast looks sketchy right now--an 80% chance of thunderstorms on Saturday--but I plan to go on down there and hope for the best.  There's nothing I can do about the weather, and I prefer to keep my mind on the things I can control: practice, training, and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment