Monday, January 2, 2017

Monday photo feature


Most people who paddle with me these days know me as a kayaker, but my earliest paddling was done in canoes, and on a whitewater river my preferred boat has always been a decked canoe (C1).  In a whitewater C1 you kneel and use a single-bladed paddle.

My first C1 was a Gyra-Max manufactured by the Perception company of Liberty, South Carolina.  If I'm not mistaken, the Gyra was the first roto-molded C1 commercially available.  Eventually I would move on to some more sophisticated designs, including slalom race boats; but that Gyra saw me through some epic formative experiences.

It took me a while to get the hang of the balance and boat control that a C1 demands on whitewater.  I guess one positive result is that I developed a pretty bombproof roll.  This photo was taken on the Pigeon River near Hartford, Tennessee, in 1993, at which time I'd owned the boat for a year.  I think Mike Davis was the photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment