Friday, September 29, 2017

Manual labor

On Tuesday I paddled with Joe for the first time in quite a few weeks.  One or the other of us had been out of town for many Tuesdays in a row.

I did the current strength routine on Monday and Wednesday.

Yesterday I went down to the riverfront for my last hard workout before my race on October 7, and likely my last for the year.  I'd planned to go in the morning, but something came up at a rental property I own that I had to go deal with, so I had to push paddling back to the afternoon.  The "something that came up" included picking up and stacking over a hundred bricks, and once the job was done I was feeling it in my arms and lower back.

In the afternoon I did another set of four sprints in the harbor between the monorail bridge and the Hernando DeSoto Bridge.  The recovery interval was five minutes, during which I paddled back to the start.  My times were 2:02, 2:00, 2:03, and 2:01.  Though I didn't manage any sub-2 clockings like I did last week, I felt better throughout the workout.  I was certainly tired by the fourth piece but I wasn't completely falling apart like I was last week.  The weather was working in my favor: last week the Fahrenheit temperature had been in the low 90s, but yesterday it was some ten degrees cooler than that.

Today I was due for some recovery from the brick-moving and the workout, so I went back downtown and did an easy 40-minute paddle.  Most weeks I do the strength routine Friday and paddle on Saturday, but tomorrow I have things to do out on the east side of town, so I decided to flip-flop those two things.

No comments:

Post a Comment