Thursday, September 7, 2017

Racing this Saturday, healthy or otherwise

I'm now officially registered for the Lower Atchafalaya Sprint Races this Saturday.  There will be several different races for different classes, and I think I'm going to join a friend in the tandem race as well as race solo like I normally do.  The distance for each race is six miles--not really a "sprint" in my opinion, but the organizers of this race also organize annual races measured in the hundreds of miles, so I guess six miles is a sprint to them.

Sprints are what I've continued to do in the boat, at any rate.  Yesterday I did six 12-stroke sprints during a 60-minute session.  I've also done the strength routine both Monday and yesterday.  I'll skip it tomorrow since I'm racing on Saturday.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I haven't had any injuries that made me miss time in the boat this season.  But the aches and pains have been getting to me lately.  Maybe I just need to resign myself to a life of aches and pains as long as I insist upon doing hard athletic stuff at age 50 and beyond.  But I welcome relief wherever I can find it.  I woke up Monday with acute soreness and tightness in my lower back--so bad that I could hardly bend over at all.  That discomfort has eased since then, but now I've got a knot up in my right shoulder and neck area.  Yargh.  I've dealt with these things for years now, and they always get better eventually, but that doesn't mean I'm growing to like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment