Friday, September 1, 2017

Storms and surfing

I was still feeling really tired and sluggish on Monday, so I made it a rest day.  I didn't paddle and I didn't do the strength routine that I normally do on Mondays.

By Tuesday morning I was feeling a bit more energetic, but I didn't want to push my luck, so I paddled for just 40 minutes.  That was enough time to get loose and do three 8-stroke sprints and a couple of surges.

On Wednesday I did the strength routine, and yesterday I got back in the boat for a 70-minute paddle.  Yesterday was the day that Tropical Depression Harvey was to make its trip through the greater Memphis area, and Thursday evening sprints had been called off to spare us all the negotiation of flooded streets to get out to Shelby Farms.  But in the mid morning there was no more than an occasional light drizzle falling.  I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints in the harbor, and then headed out onto the Mississippi to see what was going on.

What was going on was a barge rig coming downstream that was producing some premium surfing waves in its wake.  This rig was unusual in that it wasn't moving that fast--usually they pull away from me quickly, taking their best waves with them--and yet its screws were churning up good surfing waves.  So I was able to surf without working too hard, and could have continued doing so for miles and miles if I'd wanted.  As it was, I surfed from the Hernando DeSoto Bridge until we were down below the Memphis-Arkansas Bridge, and then I decided I should bring the fun to a close before I was faced with too long a paddle back upriver.  I worked my way up the bank alongside Tom Lee Park until I was safely back in the harbor's flatwater.

At this time some heavier rain moved in, and I paddled that last 2000 meters or so back to the dock in a drenching downpour.  But I was unconcerned--paddling is a water sport, after all.  By the time I was back on the dock and in dry clothes the rain had backed off enough that I could walk up to the car without getting too soaked.  The rain was coming down in earnest by the time I got home for lunch, and would continue on into the night.

The rain was gone by the time I woke up this morning.  As the city dried out I did another round of the strength routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment