Sunday, December 10, 2017

Laying some good groundwork

The training volume has definitely been lower in this early part of the offseason; I've been paddling twice a week and doing a strength routine twice a week.  But I think I'm doing more than simply going through the motions.

In the boat I've been working to incorporate the things I learned in Morgan House's clinic back in October.  Making even small changes to your stroke mechanics can be tiring even though the paddling intensity is low.  The biggest challenge is staying relaxed: we humans like things that are familiar, and doing something you're not used to makes you want to tense your body and burn more energy than you should.  I think the best thing I can do is follow Morgan's advice and work on my stroke just a little bit at a time, every time in the boat, rather than try to get it all right in the space of a day or a week.

I've been doing the new strength routine for a week now.  As with most of my routines I get it done in less than a half hour, but it's a good intense workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment